I wanted to share my experience today because I am amazed how kind people can be. I feel like there are so many experiences where people are rude, thoughtless, selfish, unkind and the list goes on but there are also experiences where people are thoughtful, selfless, kind, and will go out of their way to help. I was on the receiving end of that today! I went to my doctors appointment this morning knowing that there was probably not going to be ANY changes with my leg, and I was right there is still no change after 6 weeks. I have been thinking about getting a second opinion for a few weeks, because it NEVER hurts, but put that aside, tried to be patient and move forward. Well today I went to work to see my manager, talk to her in person and show her my x-rays. We had a good chat about how I wanted to come back to work and to STOP drinking the soda then I went to visit some friends on another floor. As I was about to leave I thought about going to the Ortho floor to see if I could get a second opinion from a doctor there but the problem is I don't know any of the doctors on ANY of the floors. Poulsen goes to school with another CNA that works the day shift on that floor and, lucky me, she was working today. I asked her if she knew any of the doctors on the floor that might be able to talk to me about my leg and she pointed me toward Dr. Butterfield who couldn't have been nicer. He looked at my x-rays and talked through my concerns and then said "Hey do you want to hop over to my office and I'll do some stress x-rays on your leg just to make sure it's OK?" Seriously! How nice was that? He didn't know me from Eve and was willing to take time out of his busy schedule to help me! He called over to his office and told them I was coming, everyone knew who I was when I got there. He came in and took the x-rays which didn't show any stress fractures in my ankle or anywhere else but he did say "There is no bone growth at all," CRAP!! Again he took time to answer my questions and reassure me with ALL my concerns. I am so impressed with Dr. Butterfield and how wonderful he was to me! This world ISN'T just full of people who don't care and won't help others and today I was shown that by a perfect stranger. There are people out there who WILL go out of their way to help you. He didn't fix my leg today or find anything we didn't know but he was knowledgeable and wonderfully nice and that's what I'll remember!
UPDATED: So I guess that I forgot to add the most important thing, the progress or diagnosis. Dr. Butterfield said that usually they wait 6 months to see if the break will heal before they do surgery but he thinks that if it's not going to heal in 3 months then it won't heal at all. So in another 6 weeks if it's still not healing then we'll talk about surgery to put pins and a rod in it. FUN STUFF!!
3 comments:
So is there anything you can do about it? Or just keep waiting?
So does he want to do surgery? I have a feeling he may be a good good Dr. :)
What a cool story. I love doctors that aren't total jerks. Sorry you haven't made any progress. :(
Post a Comment