Our family went up Little Cottonwood Canyon on Saturday to enjoy the weather, the changing colors, and for Poulsen to show me a spot where he and his friends hung out at in high school called Moon Rock when it happened. We were walking back to the car and didn't have far to go, just a BIG hill and we were back to the main road, when I stepped up about 2-3 feet to get over a fallen tree. Well I lost my balance, fell about 2-3 feet down and backward landing onto uneven ground hearing the worst sound ever...CRUNCH. I knew immediately that I had broken my leg and that I had to get to a hospital right away but now we had to figure out how to get up that BIG hill while I was going into shock. I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up all at the same time. I was sweating bullets and just wanted to lay down but at the same time I wanted to do all of this I KNEW we had to get up the hill and to the car or Poulsen would have to call 911. Sally stayed with me to talk to me while Poulsen ran up to the road to see if he could find anyone to carry me up the hill, again I was still sweating like crazy and VERY dizzy. It was such a blessing that Poulsen found some people to help carry me up the hill and then stay with me while Poulsen and Sally went to get the car. We called my in-laws to meet us at the ER pick up Sally (they were very thoughtful in keeping her for the rest of the night), Poulsen had to call in sick to his work and I just couldn't believe that I broke my OTHER leg. We got to the hospital where we waited for them to call me back, seriously I could have stayed there FOREVER as long as I had some pain meds in me. I told them that I had broken my leg jayded RN and MD said "We'll see after the x-ray." They were a lot nicer to us once they found out that we worked for IHC too. Well I have a break in my Right Fibula and a little chip off it too closer to the ankle. I'm not in a cast but a splint but I have to keep weight off my foot for 3-4 weeks by using crutches. I'm on good pain meds, can I hear a whoop whoop, and I've parked myself on the couch with all good things around me. Poulsen has been an amazing help, as always, and Sally is one step behind me whenever I'm up in my "Crunches" as she says it. I think I might let her color and bejewel them for fun. I have THE BEST IN-LAWS who brought us food to last us for a week! I have very thoughtful people who want to help me and I might have to take them up on it, whether I like it or not. Now we just need to figure out how I'm going survive without driving and pretty much doing ANYTHING for the next 3-4 weeks, it should be interesting :)
Our fun family before the break
Our fun little family up Little Cottonwood Canyon
Waiting in the ER waiting room
Poulsen got a not so happy picture of me, I still didn't have any pain killers
This is how Jeff was pretending to be
But this is how he really was :)
My beautiful broken bone
They had to put me on my stomach to put the splint on
The doctor actually put it on, he must have been bored
I have my pain killers, my splint on and I'm ready for my Costco ice cream bar for being such a good patient
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! I can help in whatever way you need me to. I can drive you wherever you need to go, or run errands for you.......let me know! I love the pic of the broken bone. So cool, not cool you broke it, but cool that I got to see a pic of it.
4 comments:
How did that ice cream bar taste, Janet?
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!! I can help in whatever way you need me to. I can drive you wherever you need to go, or run errands for you.......let me know! I love the pic of the broken bone. So cool, not cool you broke it, but cool that I got to see a pic of it.
I am telling you-CALL me!! If I can take B that day or make food then I will do it!!
I can't believe you broke your leg! Crazy! Good luck to the both of you. :(
Post a Comment